337 Walnut Street
Established in 1899, the Colorado City Opera House is one of the 25 oldest operational live music and entertainment venues in the state of Texas and the second oldest in West Texas.
The historic structure was built by the Colorado Opera House Company
before the turn of the last century, and was the second opera house in Colorado, Texas (now Colorado City), then cultural center of West Texas
. The facility staged light opera, vaudeville, and silent movies (after 1911); it also hosted school programs. The building was converted to a boarding house during the great depression and World War II eras. After falling into disrepair the Opera House was returned to its original use in 1971 after extensive renovations. It has continuously hosted live entertainment since that time.
In 2009 through the combined efforts of the the non-profit Colorado City Opera House, Inc., the City of Colorado City, TDCJ, the Mitchell County BOED, the Mitchell County Historical Commission, the Colorado High School Jazz Band, the C-City Opry, and various other local entities and patrons, nearly $75,000.00 was raised and expended on historic renovations and facility improvements.
Regular performances range from country, jazz and classical piano to dramatic plays. The Opera House is also the official home of the C-City Opry and the West Texas Steel Guitar Association
The facility is currently leased and operated by the Colorado City Opera House, Inc., and is available for the booking of live entertainment performances, meetings and other functions by contacting Opera House Event Coordinator Liz Cavitt.
Follow the Opera House on twitter @ http://twitter.com/CCityOperaHouse